Piles: Symptoms, causes, and treatments
Piles (hemorrhoids) are swellings that develop inside and around the back passage (anal canal). There is a network of small veins (blood vessels) within the lining of the anal canal. These veins sometimes become wider and engorged with more blood than usual. The engorged veins and the overlying tissue may then form into one or more swellings (piles).
What causes hemorrhoids?
Anyone at any age can be affected by piles. They are very common, with about 50% of people experiencing them at some time in their life. However, they are usually more common in elderly people and during pregnancy.
The most common and persistent cause of hemorrhoids is constipation. The straining action during constipation, for the evacuation of bowels, is among the biggest reasons for this condition. However, this is not the only cause of piles. Some of the other causes include:
- Untreated gastric conditions like dysentry,
- Weight of the increasing uterus and constipation during pregnancy,
- Sedentary lifestyle,
- Obesity, and
- Genetic constitution
SYMPTOMPS OF PILES:-
- Bleeding along with bowel movement – you may see blood on toilet paper or on your faeces.
- A lump in or around your anus.
- Watery discharge or mucous from anus, or leaking faeces.
- Pain and discomfort during or after a bowel movement.
- Bright red blood is visible after a bowel movement.
- The area around the anus is itchy, red, and sore.
- Itchy or sore skin around your anus.
- A feeling that your bowels haven’t emptied completely.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Piles:
Triphala Powder – As mentioned above, constipation is a major cause for piles, triphala powder must be taken regularly to remove constipation and hence prevent piles from developing.
Eat more fruits including oranges, figs, strawberries, kiwis, bananas, pears, papayas, apples, grapes, and mangoes.
Increase daily liquid consumption in the form of water, soup, juice, milk, buttermilk, etc.
Aloe vera is one of nature’s best ingredients for treating hemorrhoids. The anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties of aloe vera help reduce the irritation of hemorrhoids. Aloe vera can be used for both internal and external hemorrhoids.
Crushed leaves of bitter gourd are also one of the homemade ways whereby you can treat piles naturally.
Roasted and powdered seeds of cumin with half tea spoonful being added to water also serve as a healthy option for protecting harmful effects of piles.
Lemon juice contains various nutrients that can give you relief from hemorrhoids by strengthening the capillaries and blood vessel walls.